- ENGEL, Pál: Realm of St. Stephen
- Translated by: Tamás Pálosfalvi
- Publishing House: Tauris, London
- Year of Publication: 1999
- Number of Pages: 416
- Language: English
- This is a comprehensive survey and major contribution to the historiography of medieval Eastern and Central Europe. Pál Engel traces the establishment of the medieval kingdom of Hungary from the conquest by the Magyar tribes in 895 until defeat by the Ottomans at the battle of Mohacs in 1526. Documenting the economic, social, political, cultural and military development of the dominant Magyars, Engel presents an accessible history of this important area.